Mitchellville was named for John Mitchell (1788–1862), who owned Essington Hall, the plantation that encompassed much of the area. He and his wife, Mary Lanham, are buried in the Mitchell Family Cemetery on Mitchellville and Mount Oak Road. This location is now South Bowie, and the Bowie CDP 08775. An 1878 G.M. Hopkins Atlas shows "Mitchellville P.O." near the same corner of what is today Mitchellville and Mount Oak Road. In its original cataloging the name and place "Mitchellville," the USGS used the railroad guide "Mitchellville (Mullikin) G. S. Owensville sheet Mitchellville P. G. 614 Mulliken R.'R. Guide, 314." as a basis in its decision card documentation where a Mullikin/Mitchellville railroad stop served also as the post office. This is also seen in other historic maps


Area Listings

Listing information provided courtesy of the Bright MLS. IDX information is provided exclusively for consumers' personal, non-commercial use, and it may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing. The data is deemed reliable, but is not guaranteed accurate by the MLS.

Updated: 15th November, 2018 1:08 PM.